Monday, March 26, 2012

Police assault road safety staff

The National, Monday 26th March 2012
ARMED policemen forcefully entered the National Road Safety Authority headquarters last Friday, threatened security guards and assaulted a staff member before taking an impounded vehicle.
National Road Safety Council acting executive director Nelson Terema has called on the police commissioner to investigate the rogue policemen from the Six-Mile station.
Terema said three armed policemen in uniform forced open the main gate at 7.40pm by threatening security guards on duty before driving away a taxi using spare key they had on them.
He said an officer at the premises approached the policemen and questioned them.
But he was assaulted and was left with a bleeding nose and face.
Terema said the assault only stopped when the officer, John Jaruka, who is the son of a former policeman who lives at the Gordon’s police barracks, identified himself.
“These rogue policemen drove to the Six-Mile police station, dropped John in front of the station and then drove off without arresting or charging him,” Terema said.
“When other officers of the NRSC arrived there later, John was there but there was no sign of any policeman.
“The station was completely deserted.
“The actions of these policemen was witnessed by most of our staff who remained to formally farewell one of our longest serving officer who had resigned.”
No comments could be obtained from the police yesterday.
Terema said the impounded taxi was unre­gistered and there were processes to follow before any impounded vehicle was released.
“The police must know that we have a duty mandated by the National Road Safety Council Act,” Terema added.
“They should not interfere with our duties to please a person who chooses to drive around in a taxi that is not roadworthy.”
“We are trying as much as possible to remove all vehicles that are not roadworthy but this type of act discourages all efforts.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.